Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Aren't You Glad?

During the past week, I've gotten emails, texts, Facebook messages and phone calls all with a variation of the same message ...

"Aren't you glad you're not in Sochi?"

They've come with links to stories and photos from hotels, but the sentiment is all the same ... 

"Wow, it looks crazy. Aren't you glad you're home?"

No.

My replies are always varied, but it's so hard to explain that the answer is no. 

It's not because I haven't seen the latest on Twitter or Instagram or the Washington Post. 

It's that I've watched the Olympic Games for as long as I can remember. As an adult, the Games have been a dream, a fantasy, a reality and a paycheck all rolled into one. 

Some are better than others. 

But they're all still amazing.

And I would never turn down an opportunity to work another. 

Unfortunately, this will be the first time I've been home for the Games since 2006 and the second time since college that I haven't gone to either an Oly or a Para. But I work for a summer sport and there's competitions to be had stateside, so no Sochi for me. 

Instead, I'll watch it all on TV ... And the internet. And on Facebook and Twitter. 

For someone who watched every moment I could as a child, who probably still has clippings of the Mag Seven and video (yup, VHS) of the 2000 Swimming Trials, the 1,000 hours of coverage will put me in Oly nerd heaven. 

In theory anyway. 

Because, no matter what the water in the hotels looks like or how crazy the bus routes are or whatever it is that is causing chatter today, I'll always wish I was there. 

You see, those things aren't what this is all about. 

Though, let's be real, my condo in Whistler circa 2010 was pretty sweet.  :)

It's about the athletes and their journeys.

It's about being there to watch dreams come true. 

And also being there when hearts are broken. 

It's about helping to tell the story in whatever way of athletes who may be household names or may be from sports people can't spell, define or explain. 

Fabulous locales are always nice, but some of my favorite trips have involved terrible dorm rooms, food that's borderline unidentifiable, sweltering heat or nightly freezing drizzle in the one pair of snow pants you own. 

And we all know food doesn't matter since PR people just eat whatever you can throw in a backpack anyway. Hahaha ... Sigh. 

So, no, I'm not happy I'm not there. 

But this is the Olympic Games and I am excited to cheer on Team USA from my couch ... Or office ... Or sports bar ... Or while playing figure skating drinking games. 

I'll happily watch curling (for more than the Norwegian pants), figure skating (cause I'm a diehard!), Nordic combined (best spectator mountain sport of the Games, I'm telling you) or whatever happens to be on.

And, as we get ready to begin the fun in the next few hours, I hope that everyone remembers to take a break from all the Sochi Shenanigans postings to return the Games themselves. 

I promise the athletes will make it worth it. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! My family keeps asking me the same thing or telling me they are glad I'm not in Sochi. And they still don't really get it when I tell them I would love to be working there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this as well. But I would expand it to all events. It's really the only thing I miss. I loved the pressure, the stress, the media calling at 1 a.m. because they knew "I'd be awake and answer the phone). Love, love events and would continue to volunteer if I could.

    ReplyDelete